One of the things that I got stuck on last year while developing AdventureKit was tracking state. After coming back to it again this year I realise I was coming at it from the wrong direction.
I’m going to be generating a lot of images over the coming months and I’ll be using many different apps to generate them.
So far, for my example adventure game, I’ve used Procreate, Adobe Comp, and Affinity Designer on the iPad and Photoshop on the Mac. I’ve also developed an asset management app on the Mac that I use to create the animation JSON data for my engine and that moves the assets into the asset catalog within the game bundle
I’ve been working on my AdventureKit engine and it turns out there are a lot of little drawings like UI buttons and inventory icons that need to be done for an adventure game
In some ways, they’re easier as there’s less pressure to make them stunning.
They’re not as splashy and exciting as rooms and characters but also players won’t be looking at them nearly as much.
They’re good to do when I’m feeling insecure or less inspired about my drawing—stick on some music and just start bashing ‘em out!
I have a sketchy, working version of AdventureKit:
Since I announced that I was working on it last year, it has grown considerably.
After taking a hard look at what I’ve done so far, I realised that there are some fundamental problems with it. It has become more complicated and the interactions between components have gotten messy.
It also has a few key things missing that would be tricky to add at this stage:
I was recently playing The Black Mirror and one of the earlier challenges is a jigsaw puzzle where you have to reconstruct a torn up photograph.
The player clicks on a piece to activate it, then they can move it around using the mouse or right-click on it to rotate it to one of four preset rotations. They click again to release it. When a piece has the correct rotation and is near the correct position, it snaps into place, which works as visual feedback that it has been placed correctly.
It was an enjoyable break from the exploring and it got me thinking about how I might add it as an optional mini-game type in my adventure game engine.
I’ve now admitted to the insanity of building my own engine and come up with a broad idea of how I’d like it to work. The next stage is to come up with a plan for how I might go about implementing it without getting myself stuck in rabbit holes of complicated esoteric features (as I am wont to do).
For Version 1 of AdventureKit, I will focus on three broad categories: UI, Scenes, and Development: