This project, which I began in January 2022, is a self-guided study of the history of cinema and a way of ensuring I never run out of things to draw. I’m expecting it to take around 30 years to complete.
I have compiled a list of approximately 1600 movies which I intend to watch in chronological order. For each movie, I will write a brief review here and on Letterboxd.com and draw something from or inspired by the film. Once I’ve completed each of these steps, I’ll add it to the list here.
- L’Homme Machine, 1885, Étienne-Jules Marey
- Boat Leaving the Port, 1895, Louise Lumière
- Danse Serpentine, 1896, Louise Lumière
- La Lune à un mètre, 1898, Georges Méliès
- Un homme de têtes, 1898, Georges Méliès
- Cyrano de Bergerac, 1900, Clément Maurice
- Les Fredaines de Pierrette, 1900, Alice Guy
- Solar Eclipse, 1900, Nevil Maskelyne
- Let Me Dream Again, 1900, George Albert Smith
- Panorama of Eiffel Tower, 1900, James H. White
I created my list of movies from three sources on Letterboxd.com:
- 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (based on every published edition of the book with the same name, compiled by Peter Stanley)
- The Female Gaze: 100 overlooked films directed by women (compiled by Lost In Film)
- Film School (complied by Jacob Mazur)